Toxic Mold is a fungal growth normally associated with water damage (for example roof, window and/or plumbing leaks). The mold most often appears greenish-black, but it can also be white, gray, black, brown or green, and it can be cottony, velvety, rough or leathery). Mold has a musty smell.
According to the CDC, the most common molds that are known to grow in indoor environments when excessive moisture is present include:
- Stachybotrys – also referred to as “Black Mold”
Exposure to toxic mold can cause illness. The general types of symptoms caused by exposure to toxic mold include:
- Respiratory problems
- Skin inflammation
- Irritation of mucous membranes
- Mental impairment
- Immune system suppression
If you suspect toxic mold exposure, it is crucial to:
1. Take Pictures and Videotape
Also, take pictures of the outside conditions including potential causes of moisture and water damage.
2. Have the Property Tested Hire a qualified testing company to test the amount, type and levels of mold in the property.
3. Give Notice to the Landlord and/or Property Manager
Be sure to give notice, in writing, to the Landlord, property manager or other responsible party and keep good records of any written communications you have with the landlord or other responsible party.
4. Keep Receipts and Make An Inventory of Any Damages
5. Get Medical Help Immediately
If you have any questions regarding exposure to toxic mold, call the attorneys at Keller, Keller, Caracuzzo, Cox & Belluccio.[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][et_pb_row _builder_version=”3.25″ background_size=”initial” background_position=”top_left” background_repeat=”repeat”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″ _builder_version=”3.25″ custom_padding=”|||” custom_padding__hover=”|||”][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]